Saturday, May 4, 2013

Seven Shades of Gray

I’m so intrigued by modern quilts. They aren’t my typical style, but I love them nonetheless. I think what I like the best is the simplicity of design (usually), the pure use of color (often), and the negative space that is crying out for a lot of unique quilting (always).

I think the cover quilt from my book Triple-Play Scrap Quilting (coming out on Tuesday!!!) qualifies as a modern quilt – although I didn’t realize it at the time I designed and made it.

Here’s my next attempt at a modern quilt.

IMG_2233

I knew I wanted to use a variety of gray solids – from very dark to very light. Finding the various gradations of gray fabrics was actually the hardest part of this quilt. I wanted cool grays – not warm grays. You’d think the fabric manufacturers would have grays in all 10 standard values – but, alas, they don’t. They have three or four cool grays, and then three or four warm grays, and then a couple purplish grays, etc. So I ended up buying nearly every cool gray I could find the right set of grays for the quilt.

(C) BountifulHeirlooms.blogspot.com

I have also been wanting to make a rainbow quilt – using pure colors in the same order they appear in the rainbow. So I combined the rainbow colors with the grays, and this is the result.

So the quilt center is done. I’m still figuring out what to do with the borders. I think it needs borders, but I need to figure out how to make them work with the rainbow and shades of gray concept. Thinking cap is still on trying to figure it all out.

Have a great day!

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails